Frozen Pipes and Snow Storms
With temperatures drastically dropping, SERVPRO of Farmingdale / Massapequa wants to help save you from having to deal with freezing and bursting pipes. There is regular winter maintenance you can do to your home and business that will help prevent flooding in your home. Even the tiniest of cracks in a pipe can cause flooding and structural damage. Frozen pipes can be a very big problem but this problem is very preventable.
Prevent Pipes from freezing!
- Exposed pipes are... well... EXPOSED! Insulate your pipes to prevent freezing.
- Heat cables can be used to wrap pipes.
- Carefully look for and seal all leaks properly!
- When Temperatures are cold, allow warm water drip overnight.
- Before temperatures drop disconnect outdoor garden hoses and shut off and drain water from pipes leading to outside water sources.
If you unfortunately have a pipe that Freezes, call a plumber if needed. If a pipe bursts causing a flood be sure to call SERVPRO of Farmingdale / Massapequa to restore your home or business.
Frozen Pipe, Busted Pipe, Water Damage
The temperatures across Long Island have dropped greatly. This is the time of year where pipes freeze and burst the most. Coming home to water all over your house from a busted pipe is not fun for anyone. SERVPRO of Farmingdale / Massapequa will be there to help restore your home or business and make it "Like it never even happened."
While you are away for an extended period of time from your home or business, it is extremely important to winterize your home. There are things you can do to prevent a frozen pipe, which leads to a bursting pipe and water damage.
If you are away from your home or business for an extended period of time be sure too...
- Drain and Shut off your water system
- Make sure your thermostat has new batteries and is set no lower than 55 degrees (F).
- Ask someone you trust to check on your house daily to ensure it is warm enough.
Business Emergency Plan!
If an emergency strikes your business, you want your team to feel prepared and safe. You never know when an emergency may strike. Storm, Flood or fire, you always want to be prepared. You want to keep your employees, customers and community safe and knowledgeable. Creating a plan that will not only keep everyone safe but having business be able to continue will be most beneficial to everyone.
You want to prepare your emergency plan. Whatever your own personalized plan may be, communicating with your employees and keeping constant contact is very important, everyone must be involved. You want to practice your plan and inform everyone of what to do, before, during and after an emergency event. Everyone must know what to do if they are sheltering in your business or evacuating. Making sure everyone knows what to do, keeps everyone safe and keeps your emergency plan process moving smoothly.
Fire Health and Safety
HAZARD: Anything that has the capability to cause harm or pose a threat to life, health, property or the environment.
During a fire disaster everyone's safety is most important. It is important to get everyone out of the building and away from the fire. After a fire is put out it still extremely important to take safety measures until your home or business is restored. When restoring a home or business after a fire, it is critical to identify potential health or safety hazards.
Hazards after a fire may include:
- Electrical hazards
- Respiratory hazards
- structural hazards
- chemical hazards
- slip, trip, fall hazards
It is important to point out ALL hazards that may leave someone hurt or even sick. Anyone preforming services or on site during a fire restoration should wear personal protective equipment (PPE). This equipment should be well cared for and can prevent injury and health risks.
If you need your home or business restored from a fire, Call SERVPRO of Farmingdale / Massapequa at (516) 221-3666
When disaster strikes, SERVPRO of Farmingdale / Massapequa is always ready to help and make it "Like it never even happened." We want to help you, not only after a storm but before. We all know the essential items we should include in a storm kit, such as water, food, candles, flashlights and first aid items. There are other everyday items that can help better prepare you and your loved ones during an already very stressful time of an emergency situation.
- Tools (ex. wrenches and pliers) -to turn off utilities
- plastic sheeting and duct tape - to shelter in place
- manual can opener-for food
- car charger- for portable electric devices
- extra blankets and warm clothing
- sturdy pair of shoes
- a water proof container to hold all important documents and essential electronics.
You can never be TOO prepared for a storm.
Every now and than Farmingdale / Massapequa and its surrounding Long Island, NY areas get slammed by some pretty intense storms. Sometimes it may be completely unexpected such as our most current storm. The remnants of Hurricane Ida caused devastating floods all across the Island. This storm caught most people off guard and left everyone shocked. Water rushed into homes, businesses, roadways and even cars all over the Island without much of a warning. Homes and Businesses were not only destroyed but this unexpected storm was also deadly.
SERVPRO of Farmingdale / Massapequa wants to help save your home, business but also your life. Strom water can rush quickly and ferociously into your home and leave you little time to evacuate, especially with an unexpected storm.
Try to stay informed about your areas forecast. Sign up to receive weather notifications to alert you of an upcoming storm. If you are aware of an upcoming storm and are able to secure your home and business, do so and evacuate properly. During an unexpected storm the most important thing is you, your family and employee's safety. Listen to authorities for instructions. Evacuate if you are told to do so and find a safe shelter. DO NOT walk, swim or drive through flood water. If you are in a home or building, get to the highest location possible. These few tips can be the difference between life and death.
Elements of Cleaning
There are four elements that are required so that fire residues can be removed.
- Temperature-Heat increases the speed of chemical reactions in cleaning products. The correct temperature must be chosen depending on the cleaning solutions and the materials being cleaned.
- Agitation- Dislodges residues from surfaces and distributes cleaning products across surfaces.
- Chemical Action- Professional cleaning products work through several chemical reactions with residues and surfaces. The correct cleaning product must be selected depending on the action desired.
- Time- The amount of time needed for professional cleaning and deodorization products to work varies upon the product and type of residues.
Fire damage presents a great variety of cleaning challenges due to the many ways that heat, oxygen, moisture and gases interact to form smoke residues. Our SERVPRO of Farmingdale/Massapequa team responds to a variety of challenges created when smoke residues and odors affect different surfaces and materials. We have many procedures for restoration and we utilize them all before fire-damaged materials are declared "unrestorable."
Call SERVPRO of Farmingdale/Massapequa today! 516-221-3666
It's that time of year again, temperatures are rising, barbecues are grilling and fireworks start popping! Summer is a time for relaxation and fun in the sun. SERVPRO of Farmingdale/Massapequa wants you and your family to be safe, and have the best summer ever. Here are some tips to help you enjoy your summer to the fullest and avoid summer fire accidents.
- If you are using a grill or fire pit, be sure to wear the right clothing. Make sure you have no loose clothing items that can catch on fire, Make sure your sleeves are rolled up.
- Make sure your fire pit/barbecues are away from bushes, trees or anything flammable. You can't to make sure you have at least 3 feet of clear space around your fire area.
- While setting off fire works make sure to be safe and in a clear open space.
- Never let children set off fireworks.
- Never re-light a fire work.
Have fun this summer and be safe! If an Accident does occur, call SERVPRO of Farmingdale/Massapequa 516-221-3666
Rain, GO AWAY!
With the transition from spring to summer comes a lot of rainstorms. Rain is great for your yard and keeping those beautiful flowers in your garden alive, but the rain belongs outside, not in your home. Many people wake up to a wet basement after a rainstorm. You want to be able to get the cause determined and the situation under control. SERVPRO of Farmingdale/Massapequa has the properly trained technicians to help repair the issue. We have the expert training you need to help dry out your basement. Certain materials such as wood, leather and paper can start to grow mold in as little as 24 hours. SERVPRO of Farmingdale/Massapequa wants to help repair the damage but also save your belongings.
Call 24/7! 516-221-3666
Going on a much needed vacation this summer?
We often think about shutting off our water in the winter to avoid frozen/bursting pipes when we are not home, but what about summer? People forget that pipes can break and leak in the summer as well. The last thing you want after returning from a great vacation is a home filled with water. When you go on your much deserved vacation this summer, we have some tips to keep your property safe while you're away.
- Before you leave: Drain water lines
- Open faucet in bathroom after you shut off the valves and drain the water out and flush the toilet.
- Turn air conditioner on. Heat can affect doors and flooring. Having air circulating will prevent them from collecting condensation.
- Unplug electronics