Water Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Just Discovered Water Damage? SERVPRO of Farmingdale / Massapequa is here to help. Before help arrives, here are some tips on what to do next:
- Safety First: Ask yourself, Is it safe to stay in the house?
- Do not enter affected areas if any electrical components are exposed to water.
- Shut off the water source, if safely accessible, or have a qualified professional do so.
- Disconnect the power, shutting circuit breakers, if necessary and accessible.
- Remove any sentimental contents (photos, family videos, etc) or high value contents (artwork, laptops, tvs etc).
- Do not discard ANYTHING: Your insurance company will want to see proof of water damaged items.
- Only do activities that are safe for you to perform.
- Wet materials can be VERY heavy. Be careful!
Have A Water Damage Emergency? Call (516) 221-3666
What To Do After Flooding
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Turn air conditioning on for maximum drying in summer.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Remove art objects to a safe, dry place.
- Gather loose items from floors.
What NOT To Do After Flooding
- Don't leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don't leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don't use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don't use television or other household appliances.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.